Saturday, September 11, 2010

You Never Told Me You Loved Me by Gabriel



Terry Lauber is the vocalist for Gabriel's lovely "You Never Told Me You Loved Me". Although this Frank Butorac-written song did not enjoy chart success in the US, it enjoyed considerable airtime in some Southeast Asian countries, which includes the Philippines.

For more information on "You Never Told Me You Loved Me", as well as the band Gabriel, I've posted an excerpt of Terry Lauber's e-mail to me below, with his permission:

-----

Oh and I was the vocalist on 'You Never Told Me You Loved Me'.  The song was written by Frank Butorac, the other guitarist in Gabriel but as we were producing that first LP for ABC Dunhill records, it was decided that I should try my hand at the vocal.  We had never performed the song before recording it for the album, so Frank didn't have much of a vocal on it.  So I worked it out one evening in the studio and everyone liked it, so we kept it.  Though we only performed the song a very few times live... don't know why, just never played and sang it much.  It's certainly a lovely song and I've always been proud of my vocal performance on it.  So, thanks for asking.


Gabriel was 'fronted' by myself as the primary lead vocalist. Frank Butorac was the songwriter of 'You Never Told Me You Loved Me' with me as the vocalist...

Prior to recording the third LP for Epic Records (and we had only 3 LPs total) Stacy Christenson left the group. Also, the song Martha, our most successful song in the US, charted at #73 'with a bullet' was one of my compositions not Frank Butorac's writing. Frank and I shared the writing duties for Gabriel, so it wasn't just a Frank Butorac project... Also as you will notice on the CDs both Frank and I also played piano and I played pedal steel guitar on numerous recordings as well.

And you're right about You never told me not being a good choice to play in American dance clubs. It just wasn't a good match so we never used the song much... though we all liked it a great deal. No offense taken on your remark about Americans and their musical tastes.

-----

"You Never Told Me You Loved Me" by Gabriel is taken from this album:(Image borrowed from http://www.terrylauber.com)


ALBUM: THIS STAR ON EVERY HEEL
ARTIST: GABRIEL
LABEL: ABC RECORDS
Year Released: 1975
Country: USA

"You Never Told Me You Loved Me" by Gabriel is also released on CD as part of the remastered 3 LPs onto a double CD set.

To purchase the CD set and for more info about Gabriel, please visit: http://www.terrylauber.com/gabriel.htm

Many thanks to Terry Lauber for being so patient and very accomodating on answering my e-mails.

Here's the song "Little Darling" from the same album:

6 comments:

  1. What else can I say Ed? ...but WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i believe they also had a hit song called "idle days" which i heard regularly on DZRJ am radio in the mid 1970's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long lost song, glad to hear it once more. In what I believe, a song will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did Rolling Stone magazine hate these guys so much? They weren't THAT bad. They had a few halfway-decent songs on their albums. Did Terry Lauber or Frank Butorac seduce Jann Wenner's wife or something? I'll never figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. damn it...i've been searching for this song for ages!

    thank goodness for youtube!

    thanks to the author of this blog! keep it up! and more power to your blog..

    ukyo
    in the middle of the desert
    from the land of 3 stars and a sun

    ReplyDelete